GOI UNDP URR Programme
Background- GOI-UNDP experience of implementing Urban Earthquake Vulnerability Reduction Project (2003-2009)
38 cities across the country falling in Seismic Zone III,IV and V and having a population more than five lakhs.
Goal: Sustainable reduction in earthquake risk in the most earthquake prone urban areas across the country.
The Broad Objectives:
· Awareness Generation.
· Development of Earthquake Preparedness and Response Plans.
· Training and Capacity Building
· Facilitating amendments of Building Byelaws to ensure structural safety
· Networking of knowledge
Four key Deliverables:
• Deliverable 1: Risk Assessment and Disaster Risk Reduction for Urban Development Programmes.
• Deliverable 2: Capacity-building in Urban Risk Reduction.
• Deliverable 3: Institutional Strengthening for Urban Risk Management.
• Deliverable 4: Urban Community-based Disaster Risk Reduction
Risk Assessment and Disaster Risk Reduction for Urban Development Programmes.
Conduct Urban Risk and Vulnerability Assessments.
• Data for hazards, risks and vulnerabilities in the urban context will be collated, analyzed and validated to make appropriate risk information available.
• Physical, social, economic and environmental vulnerability will be analyzed.
• Risk Mapping will be done and probability of major hazards will be assessed.
Facilitate integration of disaster risk reduction into urban development programmes.
Capacity-building in Urban Risk Reduction
• Strengthen enforcement of building codes, byelaws and development control regulations.
• Facilitate in developing an appropriate regulatory/legislative mechanism.
• Training and capacity-building for safer construction practices and urban planning
Deliverable 3: Institutional Strengthening for Urban Risk Management
Activity 1: Strengthening institutional capacity for urban DRM
• Setting up of a dedicated DM Cells.
• Training and capacity building of officials.
• Preparation of City Disaster Management Plan.
Activity 2: Strengthening disaster response capacity for city level DRM
• Emergency Support Functions.
• City level Emergency Operation Centre.
• Setting up and training of Urban Emergency Response Team.
• Strengthening of inter-departmental mechanism for disaster response
Deliverable 4: Urban Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction
• Awareness generation.
• Community based risk assessment and preparation of community based Disaster Risk Reduction Plans.
• Training and capacity building of community based organizations and community volunteers on disaster response and preparedness.
• Promoting Housing Insurance.